Notes on TeX Live setup
This page describe steps to install TeXLive (TL from now) and needed tweaks to use TL data with self-compiled binaries. This is useful if we want to run for example pdftex compiled from sources instead of pre-compiled pdftex binary coming with TL.
Overview of involved steps
- we download the whole TL iso image to disk, mount it permanently and run the TL install script, choose the method to run TL from directly from media.
- after installation, we adjust the configuration so that non-TL binaries can also use TL data.
This approach takes some disk space (~2.5GB for TL2008), but has some advantages:
- installation is quick: all data are available on disk, no need to copy bunch of files from dvd.
- installation is complete: everything from TL is installed.
- upgrade is quick: replace current the TL iso image by the new one, and that's it.